Marlow 10

Happy 6 Months to Our Little Lady! – Because Why Not Celebrate Half Years?

Well today we woke up with a 6-month old little girl in our lives. Normally I would say “in our home” – but I am away from our home at the moment taking care of some important business regarding my other child Layton. My first little love.

It really is hard to believe that 6 whole months have passed. Trying to think back to when I was pregnant, it really does feel like yesterday, yet years ago at the same time. As hard as it was, I loved the experience, and would do it all over again, and probably will one day.

Marlow’s arrival was not easy, she was stubborn, and still is. We see this more and more as she grows in to her own personality and I have been known to call her “Miss Moody Marlow” on occasion.

PregnancyMarlow 6

After Michael and I found out that we were expecting a baby I think we were both excited, yet somewhat terrified. I had been through this before, and it was HARD. Mind you, I was much younger at the time that I got pregnant with my son, I wasn’t sure if I could do it again. Nine years later or not.

To say that every pregnancy is different would be an understatement.

My two experiences were like night and day.

I had developed a very severe case of anemia (iron deficiency) this time around and was admitted to the hospital a few times for iron infusions. It took my doctors a while to get to this point of infusions, as they wanted to try every other method of medication before actually admitting me. Turns out, my body doesn’t absorb iron supplements properly, so infusion is the only way.

Before getting to the point of being admitted, I suffered a few falls due to light headedness, dizziness, as well as passing out. One memorable one is when I was super close to my due date, Michael sent me for a manicure and pedicure to do something nice for me before delivery day. Well, on the walk home I saw black, my ears started ringing, and I fell down off of the sidewalk in to the street and was inches away from getting hit by a car coming around the corner.

This happened half a block from our house – and my nails were ruined!

I was sick most of my pregnancy, though I tried to hide it well when out of the house, I felt like I had the (for lack of a better term) crap kicked out of me on a daily basis.

We also decided to find out the gender of our baby. I was secretly hoping for a girl this time around, and I think Michael was secretly hoping for a Rogers boy, but was thrilled to be having a little girl.

As our due date (March 3) slowly appeared on the calendar I was determined to have this baby EARLY! My son was way overdue, and I had a hard delivery because he was such a chunker that I was dead set on not letting that happen again.

Unfortunately, by this time, Marlow was in charge. Stubborn as ever our due date passed. Then another day passed.

I was at the doctor almost everyday by that point being monitored, and she started talking about induction. I was feeling super defeated at this point as she filled out the paperwork and sent it to the hospital.

Now I know a due date is just a rough approximation of delivery, but man does it ever give you some hope that end is near, and I am sure I am not the only one that feels this way. They should give you a due month, not due date.

I got a call March 12th to come in the next morning at 7:30am to start the labor process.


Marlow’s Arrival

So, there are a few different types of inducing labor. It really depends on if your body has naturally progressed at all on its own up until this point. The type they were using on me could take up to three days of receiving medication before labor would start. Great, more waiting.

March 13th, Michael and I get up at some ungodly hour to get ready to head to BC Women’s Hospital. My mom was on the ferry and would meet us at the hospital when she drove in to the city.

They admitted me as a patient to the hospital – by this time I was a pro because I had done it quite a few times before.

So much for 7:30am, our nurse didn’t come and fetch us until almost 9:00. (More waiting)

Anyways, The medication they used on me was called Cervidil, and I was told, again, that it could take a couple of days before anything happens and to be back the next day at 7:30am again for round 2. Easy peasy, go home and rest.

Michael and I went home, mom went to get lunch for us and bring it back to the apartment. As soon as we got home I had a nice warm bath. The bath had been my home for the past couple months or so, because it was the only place that my body wasn’t in pain.

Michael went to bed to have a nap, mom was napping on the couch, and I was trying to sleep on the couch. Trying. I couldn’t for the life of me get any shut-eye. I got up around 4 to go to the bathroom, and boom, my water broke.

Just to be clear, I wasn’t sure if it had actually broken because I had had a bath earlier so I didn’t say anything to either of my people because they were both snoring away.

Marlow 7Fast forward 30 minutes to 4:30pm and I am bent over balling my eyes out in the worst pain I have ever experienced. One of the other side effects of the medication they gave me is that it really intensifies contractions. The contractions I was having were about 2 minutes long with a rest of about 20-30 seconds in between. I couldn’t even catch my breath. This is a big no no, and we had to go straight to the hospital.

I was induced both of my pregnancies, so I really have nothing to compare it to natural wise, but I am told from people who have experienced both that being induced takes the cake pain wise.

We arrived at the hospital at 5:00pm and I was just over 5cm dilated. So we weren’t going home, we were having our baby.

I didn’t have an epidural with my son and I was dead set against them. I was told before that because I have scoliosis that it was not an option for me because my spine is so curved. The staff at BC Women’s were like none other I have met. They seriously have the best doctors, and I was able to get an epidural at around 7cm. They gave it to me in such a way that I was still able to be up and walking around for a while.

Marlow 3I hit 10cm around 11:00pm on March 13 and I refused to push. For some reason in my head, I didn’t want her to ever have a birthday on Friday the 13th. (Don’t ask, I really have no idea where that came from) So the doctors told me I could wait for one more hour as long as I was really sure that is what I wanted to do. It was.

Here is the icky part.

As I was pushing, and pushing, and pushing…

The head came out, and that was it. She was stuck, and I mean stuck. The doctor was pulling on her so hard I thought she was going to break her neck.

Nope, she was stuck.

All of a sudden there is about 25 nurses, doctors, and specialists in our delivery room trying to figure out the safest way to get this baby out. Specialists took over and it was like organization I have never seen before. Everybody knew their place, and they twisted and turned and pushed and pulled on my torso and alas, Baby Rogers was born!

Marlow Logan Best Rogers

8lbs 14oz

20 1/4 inches

Marlow 4

Those First Days

Awhile after delivery we were taken down to our room that we would stay in for the next couple days.

Now, we got spoiled during delivery time, we had a brand spanking new room with flat screen TV’s and all the bells and whistles. I guess the part that we were staying in had yet to be renovated and we were put in to a coat closet size room. Mike got a mattress on the floor with no blanket or pillow to sleep with, and the bathroom was in the closet. Yes, our closet had a closet.

Call me spoiled, but we were not happy.

Marlow did not stop crying for almost 24 hours, and it got to the point where the nurses asked us if they could take her from us so we could sleep for an hour. We said no.

They did teach us this trick to stick your finger in her mouth and let her suck on it since that is the only thing that calmed her down.

Michael and I were struggling to keep it together, we had some words, had some cries and wondered what the hell we had gotten ourselves in to with this one.

March 16th: we were determined to get out of there and go home. I was sick of suffocating in that small room with the window that didn’t open. We met this fantastic nurse, Avery, I believe her name was and she was literally the baby whisperer. Marlow 1

It was the first silence we had heard in I don’t know how many hours.

Little bear passed all of her tests with bells and whistles, and we got to go home on a nice sunny afternoon!

Life After Birth

As I said before, the past 6 months have been a blur. They have been such an adventure watching her grow, and learn, and explore.

Michael and I have gotten in to an amazing groove as parents, and those hard days that we first experienced are long gone. I have never felt so supported in my life as I do now sharing this experience with him.

So, Happy Half Birthday Miss Marlow! You keep life interesting, and we wouldn’t want it any other way!

Love you lots my girl!

Marlow 10





Please follow and like us:

12 thoughts on “Happy 6 Months to Our Little Lady! – Because Why Not Celebrate Half Years?”

  1. Congratulations on your bundle of joy. I love babies. I wish would have kept track of my babies growth as well. When my oldest was 5 months old, we realized we were expecting his brother. My husband was in complete shock.

    I find myself constantly thinking about their babies days. They are 16 and 15 and in highschool now.

    Good job.

  2. HI Montana,
    Great post this and you’re journey in having a beautiful baby its a wonderful that you ladies do
    in order to bring a new life into the world, you has a mum are most important girl in any childs life.

  3. Congratulations on your sweet and beautiful little girl! I have two sons who are 30 and 28 years old now, and let me tell you even that time goes very very fast!

  4. Happy 6 month Birthday to your little one! Im glad that everything went well for you and your little one, as long as they are healthy, it doesnt matter how many days we were in labor)))
    My labor was looong too and I was induced as well but with the Pitocin, which made my contractions awful, 10 times worse then they should be).

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *