I spent months and months shopping and researching for the right breast pump while I was pregnant. Breastfeeding came as a challenge with my first child, and I wanted to give it another go with my second. I ended up choosing the Medela Pump in Style Advanced Backpack. Overall I am very happy with my choice, and I am confident I would choose it again. Here is my review in hopes of making your choice a little easier.
Price: $318.78 & Free Shipping
Where to buy: Amazon.ca
- Easy to use
- Great starting point for beginners with easy set up
- Easy to clean
- Double or single pumping
- Portable with three different styles to choose from
- Higher Price
- Condensation can get in to tubing
- Pump is a little noisy
MY OVERALL RATING: 9/10
- Double or single pumping
- Comes with breast shields, tubing, valves and membranes
- 2 phase expression technology
- One touch let down button
- All parts that touch breastmilk are BPA, DHEP, and phthalate free
- Battery or cord power
- Adjustable suction strength
- Reliable and Dependable
- 2 year Manufactuerer’s limited warranty
- Comes with cooler bag, freezer pack, as well as milk storage bags and Calma Feeding Solution
- Three styles of tote bag to choose from
What You Get
- 2x Personal fit standard size (24mm) breast shields
- 1x Practical discreet carrying bag (3 to choose from)
- 1x Medela breastfeeding accessories Pack ($40 Value)
- 1x Cooler bag with freezer pack
- 1x Calma nipple
- 4x 150mL BPA free bottles with lids
Even though this pump is on the higher side price wise, it is definitely worth the extra dollars. There are three different styles of tote bag to choose from: Backpack, Tote bag, Metro bag. All contain the same pump, the only difference is that the metro bag pump is removable, whereas with the other two the pump is built right in to the bag. The convenience of having it built right in to the bag is that you can literally take it with you wherever you go, put it down beside you, and you are ready to pump.
The best thing about this pump is how easy it is to use. You just attach tubing to the pump, turn it on, and you are ready to go. This is not like other pumps where you have to read the instructions each time you want to use it. Great choice for beginners and experienced pumpers alike!
This pump is best used for a mother who is pumping exclusively and is unable to breastfeed, has multiples, or if you are trying to build up a large back supply to have on hand in the freezer. It is powerful, and gets the job done fast. This pump is great for mothers who need to pump away from home, as the bag it comes with contains everything you need, and conceals the pump from lookie loos.
You can’t go wrong with the Medela Pump in Style Advanced Double Electric Breast pump. It is fast, efficient, and keeps on working. The replacement parts for this pump are inexpensive, and can be found easily online, or at almost any store that sells Medela breast pumps.
If this pump receives any complaints at all it is usually surrounding the quality of the tote bags. I have not had any issue with my backpack edition, and I take it with me almost everywhere.
Overall you will not be disappointed by this pump. There are lots of add on accessories that you can purchase to accompany your pump, such as the hands free nursing bra.