I am kind of taking a step back here with this one, but I think it is a very important part of the transition from pregnant mama, to mama mama! What exactly do you need to bring to the hospital? How early should you pack your bag? What if I forget something? First of all RELAX! You have spent the past 8-9 months growing a precious life, and you are almost at the finish line.
Here I will just lay out a simple list you can follow when it comes time to pack your bag for the big day!
When Should I Pack?
This really depends on how your pregnancy is going. Both of my babies were born between 41 and 42 weeks, but they can come at any time. If your pregnancy has been generally complication free you can usually get away with packing around 37 or 38 weeks, however, I would generally recommend aiming for anywhere between 34 to 36 weeks. Just in case!
If you are having multiples or are having complications, such as high blood pressure, your doctor or midwife may recommend getting it done earlier.
The Important Stuff
- Photo ID
- Hospital Insurance Forms
- Birth Plan (If you have one)
- Cell Phone, Ear Buds and Charger
- Change for Parking/Snacks
- Bath Robe
- A couple pairs of socks
- Hair Elastics
- Flip Flops or Slippers
- Dress or Nightgown (If you don’t plan on wearing a hospital gown)
- Gatorade and Snacks
- Heat Pack
- Any other relaxation items you plan to use
- Bath Towel (Hospital ones are terrible)
- Comfy Clothes
- More Socks
- Nursing Bra x 2 (I Like These Ones)
- Nursing Pads (My Favourite Disposable & Washable)
- Nipple Cream (Earth Mama is My Go to)
- Nursing Pillow (Check Out My Favourite & Review)
- Comfy Underwear (If you don’t plan on wearing the mesh ones from the hospital)
- Toiletries (Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Face Care, Hair Brush)
- Hair Dryer (If you need, but you probably won’t feel like using it)
- Clothing to wear home
- A book, or something to keep you entertained if your stay is longer than expected
- Snacks (Because hospital food is gross!)
For My Spouse
- Cell Phone and Charger
- Change of Clothing
- Comfortable Footwear
- Bathing Suit (In case they join you in the bath or shower)
- A Book
- Their Own Snacks
- Car Seat (Most hospitals will not let you leave without baby safely strapped in)
- A coming home outfit appropriate for the weather (bring a few sizes)
- A hat to keep babies head warm
- Cozy Blanket
- Receiving Blanket (The hospitals usually have a couple)
- Pacifier (If you plan on using)
- Nail File
This is a basic list of what I packed while in the hospital for delivery. Did I use everything? No. You may not want to bring everything right in to the hospital when you are admitted while in labour. I ended up packing two bags – One for labour, and one for after delivery that my partner brought in from the car when we were all settled with our little one.
Please feel free to leave a comment with anything that you think is a must have for labour and delivery! I would love to hear others thoughts.